Interested in interviewing me about gaming, diversity, feminism, fandom or related subjects? Awesome! You can contact me here. I’m also available to speak at conferences and seminars, ask about my rates when you fill out the form.
- CWU Panel, Diversity and Gaming, February 23rd, 2018, Ellensberg, WA
- Emerald City ComiCon, Panelist, March 1-4, 2018 Seattle, WA
- Bay Area Womxn Gaming Conference, Speaker March 17, San Francisco, CA
- Game Developer Conference, Speaker, March 19-23, 2018, San Francisco, CA
- Norwescon, Gaming Professional Guest, March 29-April 1, 2018, SeaTac, WA
- PAX East, Panelist & Diversity Lounge, April 5-8, 2018, Boston, MA
- Universal Fancon, Staff & Participant, April 27-29, 2018, Baltimore, MD
- E3, attending as Media, June 12-14, Los Angeles, CA
Recent podcast appearances:
- NEW: Game Breaking Feature #17 – Representation in the Protagonist Role
- What You Talkin’ About Pikachu? – MEGASheen Pod
- Polygamer #69 – Fresh out of Tokens Post Mortem
- Skiffy and Fanty Signal boost #11
- Our Turn Podcast #38 Two Player Games
- Cast a Day 2017 #9 Queen of Fighters with Matt Peters
- Secret Sauce #3 – Powerful MTR Network & Black Woman Shoutout
- Insanity Check – This is Not Normal (incl. Shout out for I Need Diverse Games)
- First Person Scholar – Interview with Tanya DePass
- An Extra Fif – Fresh Out of Tokens
- Fansplaining #42 – Fresh Out of Tokens
- TANYA DEPASS ON CREATING D&D CHARACTERS – Dragon Talk, Wizards of the Coast
- Media Mavens #21 – Alistair and Cullen Fanfic
Upcoming Media stuff:
Popculture Coven – Recorded, air date TBA
Public Talks and Lectures:
Eff You Pay Me, I’m not Dying of Exposure, GaymerX East 2017. with Manveer Heir, Sammus Music, Riley MacLeod and Mars Dixon
How to Get that Panel like a Pro without Being One, GaymerX East 2017. with Pat Baer, Sammus Music and Benjamin Red
How to be Political on Twitch – TwitchCon 2017, with Adam Koebel, Jennasaisquoi and Brian Petrocelli
How to Stay Safe in the Land of Twitch – Twitch Office September 12, 2017
Ride or Die Mafia III Review – Ontological Geek
In Fantasy Worlds, Historical Accuracy is a Lie – My first piece for Offworld
Chicago Tribune Interview w/ Michi Trota – Progress for some women doesn’t mean progress for all in TV
Chicago Tribune Interview – I Need Diverse Games works to give minorities and women a louder voice in gaming
Black Women are Already Super Heroes; Sidney Fussell, Offworld
GX Australia Panels & my BOH Talk:
HARDER. BETTER. FASTER. STRONGER. — SELF-CARE TIPS FOR DIVERSE PEEPS
Emilie Poissenot Wren Brier Snow McNally Tanya DePass Dameyon Bonson
As part of an underrepresented group in the games industry, our careers are harder than the norm. Our actions and words may be used as a blanket representation of our whole group. The knowledge of biases against us can lead to increased self-doubt and distrust of our coworkers. All these experiences take their toll on our well-being. How can we get better at recognizing these side-effects and alleviating them faster? The panelists discuss experiences and tips that have helped them get stronger to broaden your own set of tools for similar situations.
BUILDING BETTER GAMERS
Ashton McAllan, Tanya DePass, Dr. Jennifer Hazel, Alayna Cole, Adam Koebel & Mavis Chan
Can games be used to build better gamers? Can game design improve the outlooks and behaviours of the people that play them? Can we utilise this power to make our gaming spaces and communities safer and more inclusive? Come along and see our panelists discuss who is already doing this in their games, what they are actually doing, and how we can work this kind of magic in our own games.
Tanya DePass,Felix Kramer, Katherine Cross & Rami Ismail
Diversity and inclusion is at a crossroads, with lots of performative diversity and well-intentioned-yet-ineffective strategies being touted as the Big Thing. But where are we, really? And what’s next?
My Boss of Honor talk! ❤ WHY A CUSTOMISABLE CHARACTER ISN’T DIVERSITY (PRESENTED BY THE IGDA FOUNDATION)
One of the responses that calls for better representation is often, you can customize your character in GAME! Well that’s not actually diversity, nor inclusion or an acceptable response to not thinking about inclusion in the first place. Through examples, and discussion let’s dispel this notion that customization characters = diversity.
DESTROYING TROPES AND STEREOTYPES IN GAMES
Tanya DePass, Lee Flores, Adam Koebel & Ken Wong
A look at the harm that using stereotypes and tropes does to games narratives, and why they need to be stopped.
WRITING THE “OTHER”
Anna Irwin-Schutze, Jody Toomey, Katherine Cross, Tanya DePass
At first glance, it seems obvious; Writers need to write about people and places they haven’t experienced directly for themselves. Most crime writers have not personally killed their victims. This panel is all about discovering how can write diverse and interesting characters while at the same time respecting where they come from. How do we be inclusive without having to save the whole world with every game narrative we design? What can we do to write the other to actually make a positive impact on the world and keep our stories awesome and engaging and inclusive at the same time?
HOW TO BROADCAST SAFELY AS A POC/LGBT/FEMALE ID’D STREAMER
Tanya DePass, Lee Flores, Adam Koebel
Streaming on Twitch can be fun, but it can also be perilous for some of us. This panel will bring you some tips and tricks such as using bots, human mods and other methods to make your experience as stress free as possible.
Thumbstick Mafia profiled me and my streaming! Check out this awesome space for women of color in gaming.
I spoke with Dark Matters about #INeedDiverseGames and going forward with doing the work full time!
Gadgette Interview ~ UK Gaming site Gadgette interviewed me about #INeedDiverseGames
Diversify Tabletop: Finding Diverse Designers Among the d20s (Interview with Emily Care Boss & I on the #DiversifyTabletop initiative)
Why #INeedDiverseGames: Brainstorming about Diversity in the Games Industry ReSpawn 2015 Sabine Han (Video)
These 5 Podcasts Led by Black Women Keep Me Company…and Give Me Life The lovely Inda Lauryn gave me props in this XOJane piece!
#GamesSoWhite Hashtag attempts conversation about race in games, and goes as well as you’d expect (the above article is mentioned and linked as well as me)
Older Podcast appearances:
Less Than or Equal #72 Where I talk about being Diversity Liaison for GaymerX, feminism and #INeedDiverseGames with Aleen Sims
Double Tap Episode #6 The Power of Gaming Conventions – A UK Gaming podcast where I talked up GX3, diversity in games and more.
Justice Points #120 – Good looking Inquisitors for Bioware Month, where I visited with Applecidermage and Soefit about Bioware games, and gave love to our good looking Inquisitors.
Unconsoleable #55 – Tanya is not the Outrage DMV – To celebrate the one year anniversary of #INeedDiverseGames, I hung out with Anna Tarkov & Jessica Dennis at Unconsoleable!
Hyrule Hyrulia podcast: Striving for Inclusiveness: w/Jillian from FemHype, Kiva Bay of #FeministDeck & 12 Hours and me! (YT Video)
Spawn on Me #78 – Thunder Anaconda’s and Bad Parking Jobs (in which I guest co-host with Kahlief Adams as he talks with Curtis Knight
Date Night with The Dialogue Wheel ~ Fresh Out of Tokens #38 w/RedConversation
Date Night with the Dialogue Wheel #33 – I spun the Dialogue wheel again along with BiancaJAnd about diversity, Mother Giselle and brown Fenris
Castle2Castle Disnerds with Kiva Bay! Episode 58, Part 1
Date Night with The Dialogue Wheel ~ Fresh Out of Tokens #38 w/RedConversation
Nerdgasm Noire w/@BiancaJAnd- Live on air 4/14/2015 8:45 CST/9:45 EST, will be uploaded to their site after live stream
Conventions & Events where I’ve spoken:
MAGFest, Panelist, January 4-7, 2018, National Harbor, MD
OrcaCon, Panelist & Programming Coordinator, January 12-15, 2018, Seattle, WA
PAX Unplugged – Panelist, Diversity Lounge – November 17 – 19, 2017, Philadephia, PA
Google Summit – Diversity & Inclusion in Games – September 26, Remote
Big Bad Con – Panelist/Attendee October 13-15, Walnut Creek, CA
TwitchCon – Panelist, October 20-22, Long Beach, CA
GaymerX East – Staff/Panelist – November 4 & 5, 2017 NYC, NY
GenCon – Industry Insider Featured Presenter (IIFP), August 17-20, Indianapolis, IN
PAX Dev – Speaker, August 29 & 30, 2017 Seattle, WA
PAX West – Speaker & Diversity Lounge, September 1-4, 2017 Seattle,WA
TwitchOffice – Speaker, September 12, 2017
AlterConf June 10th, Chicago, IL Speaker
Game Developers of Color Expo, June 24, 2017, Speaker
Concordia University TAG Speaker Series, “Let’s Talk Gaming!” April 12, 2017 Montreal, CAN, Guest Speaker
East Coast Games Conference (ECGC) April 18-20, Raleigh, NC, Speaker
C2E2 April 21-23, 2017 Panelist, Chicago, IL
GenVidCon – April 8, 2017 San Jose, CA Keynote speaker
Queer Games Conference (QGCon) – April 1 & 2, Los Angeles, CA Speaker
AnomalyCon – March 17-19th, 2017 Denver, CO – I’m an author Spotlight Guest
Game Developers Conference (GDC) – Feb 27-March 3, 2017, Speaker, San Francisco, CA
PAX East – March 10-12, 2017 Panelist, Boston, MA
ORDCamp – January 27 & 28, 2017, Chicago, IL Attendee/Speaker
Game On February 1, 2017 University of Washington – Speaker
GaymerX 4 – September 30 – October 2, 2016, Santa Clara, CA – Panels and staffing
Big Bad Con – October 14-16, 2016, Walnut Creek, CA – I’m going to be a guest!
A Celebration of Trek – May 7, Chicago, IL – Paneling
Nebula’s – May 12-15, Chicago, IL – Paneling
Wiscon 40 – Programming Co-Chair, GoH Liaison for Nalo Hopkinson, Paneling
PAX East – April 22-24, Boston, MA – Paneling
GaymerX – San Jose, CA December 11 – 13, 2015
- “We Need More Diverse Games: How to Get There” with Gil Almolgi, Katherine Cross, DJ Kirkland, Rachel Keslenski, and Arthur Chu Friday December 11th, 2:00 pm GXTalks A
- NEW: “Streaming your Queerness” DJ Kirkland, Dylan Zaner (M) & Me. Friday, December 11th, 6:00 pm GXTalks B
- “Unheard Voices: Diversity in Podcasting”; Ken Gagne Moderating, with Shawn Alexander Allen, Anna Tarkov & Me! Saturday December 12, 11:00 am GXTalks A
- “Diversity in Games – What’s Next?” , Mathew Anderson (M), Joe Perez, Donna Prior, David Gaider, and me. Saturday December 12, 12:00 pm GXTalks A
- “How to Work on What You Want & Get Paid Doing it: A Patreon Panel” with Soraya, Zach Weiner, Brianna Wu, Alex Woolfson & me. Sunday December 13th, 10:00 am GXTalks B
- “All your Culture are belong to us: Appropriation, Erasure and RPG’s”with Mario Raul (M), Shawn Alexander Allen, Donna Prior, Arthur Chu, and me!, Sunday December 13th, 1:00 pm, GXTalks A
- Q&A Feedback with the GX staff, Sunday December 13th, 7:00 pm w/Matt Conn, Toni Rocca, Brian Kunde, Soraya, Me and Philip Jones. GXTalks B
#IndieCade15 – I’ll be at the Intel sponsored #GamingForEveryone Diversity Pavilion at #IndieCade15 along with my Fresh Out of Tokens co-host David L. Reeves to rep for the show and it’s parent org, #INeedDiverseGames
GeekGirlCon – Seattle, WA October 10 & 11, 2015 “Stealing White People’s Superheroes” Sunday October 11th, 2pm, Room 301/302
Wizard World Chicago – August 22nd, 2015 “So You Want to be a Nerd Organizer” 3:30 – 4:15 pm
Wizard World Chicago – August 23rd, 2015 “The Most Racist Panel Ever” 1:00 – 1:45 pm
Black Girl Nerd Panel panel at C2E2 2015
Wiscon39 ; various panels on gaming, feminism, etc. 5/22-5/24/2015